RED-ORANGE LENTIL SOUP
Serving size about 8 servings
- 2 cups small red-orange lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 2 quarts (8 cups) water
- 2 Chicken bouillon cubes
- One handful fine (#1) bulgur
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter or olive oil
1. Sort through lentils and discard any stones, and rinse.
2. In an 8 qt. pot, combine the lentils, water, bouillon and bulgur. Cook until lentils and bulgur are tender, about 20 minutes.
3. Sauté onions in butter or oil, until softened and lightly golden.
4. Add onion to soup and cook another 10-15 minutes.
** Note: Chicken, beef or vegetable broth can be used in place of the water. In that case, OMIT the bouillon cubes, and add salt to taste.
**Note: Brown or Green Lentil just need to adjust cooking time. Brown or green lentil takes a bit longer to cook.